This is my second start at this. I am going to try to winnow it down. I have two new blogs here, so I hope you will read each. I tried to cut these down to the bare facts.
1. I do not know, nor have I ever known, anyone in the FLDS.
2. IMHO: Anyone who does not buckle up is an idiot. Anyone who does not buckle up his or her child is playing with that child’s life. We have automobile roll over’s a lot in the winding hills of Brown County. When people are buckled, they live, when they are not, they are thrown from the window and die. So, yeah, I believe not buckling your child is abuse. I was two when I was thrown under the dash in an accident. I sure wish I had been buckled in. I live with the pain yet. It did not make me stronger, it made me have the weakest neck on earth, but at least I did not die, like so many do.
3. I believe the FLDS women are brainwashed. I believe the children are innocent. But, you know what? If the state gives back an abused child, everyone jumps on Child Services the minute they find out the abused child has been killed with abuse in the home they returned them to. You can’t have it both ways, folks. There are bad people. Our choice is, do we let them just do anything they want or do we give the government the power to monitor it? I vote for stopping the abuse.
4. Everyone is appalled at Austrian, Josef Fritzl, who locked his daughter in a cellar and fathered her seven children. That was his religion. But, the whole world is up in arms about it. From the accounts of people who have lived in the FLDS compound, they are similarly kept from leaving and older men are fathering their children. They just have a bigger, open air cellar.
5. I am NOT saying these children are physically abused. I do not know.
6. Freedom of Choice, is not just about freedom of what religion you are. Amish are wonderful. They live outside this worlds influence to a great degree but when their children reach adulthood, they are sent out to experience the world so they can make the decision whether to return to their society. They are given Freedom of Choice.
7. Anyone know of an FLDS compound who is allowed that kind of choice? They even kick out a number of boys, at a young age, because they become a threat to the men who want the young girls.
8. What if this were you? What if you grew up this way? We’ll try to imagine that together in my next posting. Give me a few.
9. Bitter Hinterlands: You made a lot of good points. I’m sorry to tell you, but there are evil people out there and unless someone watches out for the children, and the aged, and the abused wives and husbands, it will just go on and on and on. The Courts are there to correct any abuse of the system.